Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Week One: Back in the Kinyarwanda Groove

            Back to university in Madison, and back to the language-learning grind! Unfortunately, I did not develop much of a routine over summer, and my Kinyarwanda-learning was inconsistent when it happened at all. Accordingly, I could spend time speaking poorly of my summer activities and even punishing myself now for not learning more (I don’t know! No T.V. before bed? No outside activities until I review Memrise?), but I think that would be treating my language-learning as a chore, and I don’t want to do that.

Indeed, I attended a presentation given by Dr. KDT, in which she alluded to the pleasure to be found in self-instruction of an African language, using L’s reward system as an example, and the presentation became an excellent space in which to approach Kinyarwanda anew. I don’t want to punish myself for what I don’t do, but rather I would like to reward myself for what I accomplish, and so my language-learning begins again here!

            For the past week, I primarily focused on constructing my individualized study plan, making a conscious effort to focus on action-based tasks that contribute to my stated learning goals. I hope I have constructed a more realistic plan for myself, as I recognize that in the past year, I set lofty goals for myself, hoping to achieve them at best or, at worst, comforting myself with the recognition that I set high, unattainable goals, when I did not achieve them all. Instead, I ultimately became a little misdirected, overwhelmed, and maybe even disappointed by my inability to accomplish them all. This time around, perhaps I will be a little more realistic and maybe even surprise myself!

            Another excellent push that has developed for me this semester is having another Kinyarwanda learner in African 671: Multilanguage Seminar with me. Of course, I have always said that the course provides an excellent support system, as it provides students with pedagogical strategies, encouragement, and a great source of accountability, regardless of the plethora of languages being learned. However, another Kinyarwanda learner, particularly a beginner one, motivates me even more so, as I would like to be able to assist her when I can, pointing to helpful resources or even explaining certain concepts, and I can’t help her learn unless I help myself learn.


            Finally, I will state this goal here, in the sincere hope that it will help it come to fruition: I plan to acquire a language partner (one I’ve had before or a new one) and maintain regular meetings with him/her.

No comments:

Post a Comment