Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Week Fifteen: Kinyarwanda, Pause, Resume, Repeat (as Needed)

            This week, I didn’t concentrate so much on learning new material (or even far-gone material), as I did on reviewing the sources I knew would be beneficial to me, as I prepared for my final self-assessment. This momentary pause felt a bit strange, as I am entering winter break with the motivation to keep studying, but it’s like I’m stopping forward progress prematurely.

Of course, such a feeling is right, only insofar as I am feeling it, but the reality is I have to secure my foundations before I build up, or if you prefer this metaphor: I need to back-up my knowledge on iCloud Drive (File > Save as > Remembered (Where: iCloud Drive), before I remove it from my working Documents (File > Save as > Work in Progress (Where: Documents). Neither are perfect metaphors, because I will never entirely move on from my “foundations” or “working documents,” but it’s a way to conceptualize and reaffirm the path I am on in my language-learning.

            Interestingly, and not immediately related to my language study, my Kinyarwanda notebook has had multiple lives, first as my companion at a conference commemorating the twentieth anniversary of the Rwandan Genocide, a thought journal on a trip to Colorado, and then as my Kinyarwanda notebook. Well, this week, I had to locate a recipe I encountered in Colorado, and in flipping through the pages, I became distracted by Kinyarwanda and quite literally (though really figuratively) had to tear myself away in order to complete my baking, an otherwise leisurely activity for me. Of course, it could be just the time of the semester that influenced this change, but I’m excited for it all the same, because it, along with other developments I’ve recorded in my language-learning blog, evidences the degree to which, however small, my language study has become an integral part of my life.

            It is here that I find myself approaching language study during break. On the one hand, I think, in some ways, it will be a little easier, particularly because I don’t have the demands of other coursework weighing down on me. But without the carefully crafted schedule that coursework creates and the culture of accountability our weekly meetings/my blog posts ensures, I fear the possibility that I won’t be fully committed. With that said, I need to hold myself to account, without the expectation that others do it for me. If I agree to studying at least one hour per day, I need to study for that hour, and if I don’t, I need to make it up or deal with the consequences of my actions. Furthermore, if I am committed to diligent language study, even if it doesn’t always follow my “plan,” or if I am not as advanced as I feel I should be, I should re-frame my study over break as that much more than I would have gained, if I hadn’t studied. Then again, however, that might be a useful lesson for all time.


            Anyway, this was meant to be a shorter blog post about what I was doing alone, but I allowed thinking about what I was thinking to extend it! Oops! Back to my studies! I am sure you, my reader, will appreciate the opportunity to return to yours, as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment