Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Week Four: Learning Independently, Not in Isolation

Last week, my Kinyarwanda study saw me reviewing vocabulary pertinent to classroom and household objects, clothing, food and drink, as well as animals and body parts. In addition, and in order to enhance the manner in which I discuss my relationship to these terms, I also reviewed the verbs “to want” (gushaka) and “to have” (kugira), as well as colors, demonstrative adjectives, and descriptive adjectives. Needless to say, it was a lot to do within the confines of one week, and, accordingly, I fear I may not have done the topics as much as justice as they deserve. Therefore, I hope to continue reviewing this vocabulary and grammar as I continue on with this week’s lesson, but reflecting back on this “change,” I can’t help but think it’s a good thing.

Indeed, I am not learning each lesson in isolation. Ideally, my lessons are composed in such a way that I can build off what I previously learned and apply new vocabulary to existing structures and further complicate existing structures with new ideas. Of course, reading this, it sounds like a more-or-less obvious observation about language study, but historically, at least for me, this has not always been my approach. In classroom language study, I accumulate a sizable vocabulary, but due to my lack of familiarity with structure, I find myself unable to apply my vocabulary purposefully. It’s disjointed, and as I move on to the next topic, it becomes even more so, and, finally, as I move away from language, study this problem is exacerbated. Pertinently, I intend to review what I have learned, because that is effective for me, but I need to be willing and able to think about how this concept applies to that vocabulary term, how that vocabulary term fits into this sentence, and how this sentence can be used in that context. I apologize if this sounds like a reiteration of previous blog posts, but what I really need to teach myself is this:

I am not learning this language to learn it. I am learning this language to use it.

The more I wrap my head around this, the more inspired I am to practice. Pertinently, you will not find a video of me speaking Kinyarwanda attached to this week’s blog. As way of explanation, I was not pleased with the practice discussion I created in light of the situation I described, so I wanted time to enhance it, and as independent language-learning allows me to complete tasks at my own pace, I thought it best not to include a video presently. With that said, however, my individualized study plan is structured in such a way that these videos act as a form of weekly assessment for me, so I still need to complete it, but only when I am comfortable. Necessarily, please anticipate another post including the video sometime within the next week.

Finally, and in this instance I am saving “the best for last,” I contacted the African Association of Madison this week, in order to determine if there is a community of Kinyarwanda speakers in the area, and I was fortunately put into contact with a Rwandan gentleman involved with the organization, A. A has graciously agreed to meet with me on a regular basis, but we are still sorting out the “when” and “where” details. When initially beginning this course, I was skeptical of whether or not I would be able to find Kinyarwanda speakers in the area, but I am delighted to find at least one. Indeed, learning independently does not have to be in isolation, whether that indicates my individual lesson plans or my contact with the community, and that’s reassuring to me. I hope to provide you more news as a relationship with my language partner develops!


Murakoze, kandi murabeho!

No comments:

Post a Comment