Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Week Three: Becoming Reacquainted with Kinyarwanda

Mwiriwe! (Good Afternoon!/Good Evening!)

We, ninde? (Him, who is he?)

Uyu ni musaza wanjye. Yitwa Matthew (Matayo). Ni umunyeshuri muri Kaminuza ya Jackson, ariko ni umukozi mu isoko. Atuye Manchester, Michigani, ariko akomoka Riverivew, Michigani.
(This is my brother. His name is Matthew. He is a student Jackson College, but he is a worker at the market. He lives in Manchester, Michigan, but he is from Riverview, Michigan.)

We, ninde? (Him, who is he?)

Uyu ni Data. Yitwa David (Dawidi). Ni umufasha muri Worthington Steel Industries. Atuye Riverview, Michigani, ariko akomoka Wyandotte, Michigani. (This is my Dad. His name is David. He is a helper at Worthing Steel Industries. He lives in Riverview, Michigan, but he is from Wyandotte, Michigan.)

We, ninde? (Her, who is she?)

Uriya ni Mama. Yitwa Marcy. Ni umukozi muri Oakwood Hospital. Akomoka kandi atuye Riverview, Michigani. (That is my Mom. Her name is Marcy. She is a worker at Oakwood Hospital. She lives in and is from Riverview, Michigan.)

Bo, ni bande? (Them, who are they?)

Uyu ni sogokuru, n’uriya ni nyogokuru. Bitwa David (Dawidi) na Ella. Batuye Riverview, Michigani, ariko sogokuru akomoka Hiawatha, Kansas, na Nyogokuru akomoka Grundy, Virginia. (This is my Grandpa, and that is my grandma. Their names are David and Ella. They live in Riverview, Michigan, but grandma is from Hiawatha, Kansas, and Grandma is from Grundy, Virginia.)


Last week, my Kinyarwanda-learning witnessed my review of a number of concepts from last summer’s intensive language study, namely different varieties of greetings and partings, introductions, “small talk,” nationalities, and professions. It was reassuring to me that, after only minor review, that much of what I was learning was already there. Granted, I recognize that as the weeks progress, my lessons will inevitably become much more challenging, but I can hope that it- the language- is still there- in my head and my heart (“umutima wanjye”). 

Pertinently, and as a follow up to my last post, my professor, Dr. T, suggested that I research a technique known as “lowering affective filter” and determine its applicability to my own self-guided language study. Unfamiliar to me initially, this hypothesis, created by Stephen Krashen, identifies motivation, self-confidence, and  anxiety as variables that pertain to success in second language acquisition (31). He goes on to state that:
those whose attitudes are not optimal for second language acquisition will not only tend to seek less input, but they will also have
         a high or strong Affective Filter- even if they understand the message, the input will not reach the part of the brain responsible for  language acquisition, or the language acquisition device. (Krashen 31)

It’s bit of a daunting prospect- my neurosis impacting my language-learning-, but I can see its applicability to my experience in the classroom, and, accordingly, I have identified two primary techniques that not only lend themselves to independent study, but could also assist my own particular style of language-learning:

1.) No Tests: This is a more-or-less obvious omission, but it does not and should not indicate that my course of study will lack some form of assessment. Indeed, I will set goals for myself throughout the semester, and my success will be measured by how well I perform these tasks and the manner in which my lesson plan can be altered, not by how well I test on the material.

2.) No Forced Dialogue: This is a two-part omission. Not only does it indicate that I will not be forced to speak when I am uncomfortable doing so, it also means that I will make a concentrated effort to learn and use speech that I anticipate using in natural conversations. With that said, this does not mean that I will not speak. Instead, it means I will speak on my time about what I would like.

My language-learning process is still developing, and, accordingly, I appreciate this opportunity to reflect and “refine” it all the more.

Murakoze kandi murabeho!





Works Cited

Krashen, Stephen D. Principles and Practice in Second Language Acquisition. Hayward: Alemany Press, 1982. Print.


1 comment: