Monday, February 22, 2016

Week Six: Memorize, Mesmerize, and Memrise

            This week, I have finally begun constructing my own course on Memrise. In comparison to Quizlet, I found it a little more complicated to add words and phrases, but I eventually figured it out. One of my classmates, SA, has said that you can alter the way you are tested, but I definitely haven’t figured that out yet.

I was also intrigued that as I was submitting words in Kinyarwanda that Memrise produced suggestions of words that I could mean (in Kinyarwanda, as well). I’m not sure why that intrigues me, per se, but it is evidence that Memrise has a certain database of Kinyarwanda available. Whether it’s of its own creation or a reflection of what other users have submitted, I am not entirely sure.

Ideally, to save myself some time, I would like to be able to import components of other users’ courses into my own, but I have yet to figure out how to do that, and I wonder if I even can. I suppose, in theory, I could use two screens (i.e. my computer and my phone) in order to manually import words and phrases from other users’ courses, and the results would be the same. I guess now I have a task to complete this week!

This task, however, is one of many, as I still feel a little behind in regard to my ISP. I guess it’s an adjustment act though, isn’t it? In constructing my initial ISP, I had to decide what was most valuable to my language study and commit to it. Now, as I am following my ISP through, I am still determining what’s the most valuable for my language study by actual practice and, in turn, practicing it. Right now, I believe Memrise is helpful to me, but with that said, I would still like to expand upon my activities.

As I mentioned in an earlier blog post, I really enjoy crafting lessons in Kinyarwanda for my language website, and I have been neglecting it recently. However, as it forces me to explain aspects of the language, as well as illustrate language use in examples, I would like to return to it. In addition, I have located the following resource to assist me in listening skills. Incidentally, it is also highly pertinent to my research:


I hope to listen without looking at the English translation; however, as the English translation appears on the screen, I will either have to A.) Not watch the video and only listen (which places me at a slight disadvantage, as I won’t be able to watch the speaker’s lips move), or B.) train myself only to watch their lips move and not look at the English words on the screen. No matter what I decide, however, I am excited to interact with this resource.

Murakoze, kandi muramuke!

2 comments:

  1. If you do have to import manually, it might be simpler to have two browsers open (e.g. Firefox and Safari), and cut and paste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's very true. And now I even have Firefox on my computer, thanks to your very helpful Zotero workshop!

    ReplyDelete