Monday, March 14, 2016

Week Nine: Avoiding Avoidance in Kinyarwanda

            Like last week, I am not terribly proud of my language study this week, but I managed to review terms/phrases on Memrise. In addition, though I didn’t produce anything as a result, I began to attempt looking at Ntihazasigare N'uwo Kubara Inkuru": Itsembabwoko mu Rwanda (Leave None to Tell the Story: Genocide in Rwanda). As I anticipated, the Kinyarwanda version might be well above my comprehension level, but I am sure I can still think of activities to do in relation to the text- identifying parts of speech, defining words, changing verb tense, etc.

            To the extent that I did not achieve all that I could or should have, I am still very proud of myself, as I actively thought and talked about Kinyarwanda. Indeed, we experienced very nice weather last week, and one day, I walked the two and a half miles to campus. However, insofar as this venture took longer than a bus ride, I made sure that my time was well-spent. Mentally, I identified the sights that I saw, and when I could, I would describe them internally. For example, I saw grass, so I said, “icyatsi! Icyatsi ni icyatsi kibisi” Notice that the word for “green” comes from the word for “grass.” When I saw trees, however, I said, “Ibiti! Ibiti ni birebire!” Trees! The trees are tall! When I didn’t know the word and/or phrase, I was looking for, I tried to take note, so I could look it up later. Through this process, I came to be familiar with the terms “inzira” and “akayira,” path/way and small path respectively.

            In addition to that small amount of productivity, I didn’t allow my lackluster Kinyarwanda study to prevent me from discussing the language with my classmates. Last semester, in particular, I noted that when I didn’t think I was where I should be in my language study, I avoided the language completely, out of embarrassment, shame, and maybe even guilt. This is evidenced in my blog posts from last semester, as well as in my somewhat unproductive sessions with my language. Now, however, I will still ask for resources from other L2 learners, compare the language with speakers of other Bantu languages, and even ask B to be my language partner.

            Yes, I emailed B to ask if him he would be my language partner, and he graciously agreed (in Kinyarwanda no less). We’re working to identify a schedule, but regardless of what we decide, I am sure that B will hold me to account. Indeed, due to our one-on-one intensive study, he is very familiar with what I am capable of and the standards I hold myself to. Conversely, I am also familiar with what we are capable of and the standards he holds me to, so I think I will be able to push my language study further. My primary focus, socially at least, is to avoid avoidance, that is- if and when my language study isn’t where I would like it to be, continue meeting with B. Do not allow my embarrassment, shame, and/or guilt to interfere with my language learning, as that will become a continuous and repetitive cycle if I let it.


            Sawa! Murakoze kandi murabeho!

No comments:

Post a Comment