Monday, April 18, 2016

Week Thirteen: My Pants are my Silver Lining...

This week, I feel decidedly okay about my language study. With the intention to meet with my language partner, B, I felt motivated to study this week. I returned to my Kinyarwanda notes from our intensive study in Boston, reflecting on nice memories from the class, mnemonic devices I had developed, and B’s teaching techniques. The beginning of the week was, indeed, very productive.

And then Thursday at 10:00a.m. (EST) arrived, but arrived was all it did. Indeed, Thursday at 10:00a.m. was supposed to be my meeting with B (again). As you know, the first week, he cancelled, due to a forgotten doctor’s appointment, and last week, there was some confusion regarding scheduling and the African Literature Association, so it was cancelled then, as well. This week on Thursday at 10:00a.m, I didn’t receive any communication from him- not a Skype call, an explanatory email-, and I haven’t heard from him since. Of course, there could be any number of explanations for this, including family emergency and just forgetting and anything in between, but due to the repeated incidents, I can’t help but feel a little discouraged.

After all, I am studying Kinyarwanda independently, but in order to reflect the communicative nature of the language itself, I have to incorporate other speakers. Of course, sometimes I can be innovative in this process. For example, I can listen to others singing in the language, I can read what storytellers have to say in the language, and I can reflect on what Rwandans have to say in the “Comments” section. However, to be truly communicative, I have to be able to receive the language someone produces and respond accordingly. My difficulty in maintaining a language partner has prevented me from doing so to the degree that I would like, and, well, I have trouble finding a silver lining in that.

In class, we have all discussed various problems and/or struggles pertaining to our language partners, such as difficulty in teaching them how to “teach” us and otherwise misguided directions. A problem we have not discussed, in depth, however is this: how do we address the struggle of a language partner who is absent more than he/she is present? The simple solution is, of course, to find a new language partner, but with a less commonly taught language, such as Kinyarwanda, the “simple” solution is not always the one available.

B’s absence from my Kinyarwanda training this semester not only impacted my progress week to week, but it also places at jeopardy my ability to follow through on my final evaluation plan the manner in which I have outlined it. And I really don’t know what to do about that, beyond look for another language partner, perhaps while in Rwanda this summer. Indeed, two of my classmates, L and L, are studying Luganda, and their language partner is an instructor of the language in Uganda.

I feel that this was a very discouraging update, so I will leave you with a funny language-based story to maintain your morale, as well as my own. I was discussing my language study with my friend, and he was asking what age-level I thought I could speak at, which I had trouble assessing, but then he proceeded to ask me if I could say this and if I could say that. The first question was if I could ask where the bathrooms were, which seemed practical enough, but then he asked me if I could say “Where are my pants?” And I laughed, because I thought the question was ridiculous, but he claimed that in every foreign language classroom he’d been in, he’d been asked to learn that question. I, of course, have never been asked to memorize such a question, but I can put it together in Kinyarwanda:

Ipantaro yanjye ni he?


I guess that is my somewhat unrelated silver lining of the week…

No comments:

Post a Comment