Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Week Three: Finding and Doing What Works

            This week, I continued to work on constructing my new-and-improved flashcards, but I made sure not to occupy my time exclusively in that way. Although I recognize that they are not done, I began to review the ones that are completed. It’s definitely a different experience from what I’m used to, and it might take some adjustment, but I’m enjoying it thus far. Already, I can detect that using personal pictures does make all the difference. For example, when I see my friend David in a picture, I’m not thinking of him as a young, unmarried man (as I would if it was a general stock picture). Instead, I’m thinking “David ni umusore,” not “umusore is a young, unmarried man.” In addition, last week I mentioned that for the less concrete terms, I would use Kinyarwanda clues. So far, that is going well too. In some cases, the clues aren’t as necessary (and could probably be eliminated). In other cases though, they are very useful. I try to spend thirty minutes a day creating new flashcards, and thirty minutes a day studying “old” ones. Sometimes, it is more than thirty minutes, but I work to ensure that it is never less.

            In addition, I began watching Rwandan genocide testimony videos again. I try to watch each source multiple times. The first viewing, I just watch it, perhaps jotting down a few notes. The second time, I write down words that I know. The third time, I write down words that I do not know, and I look them up. The fourth time, I attempt to write a summary. The fifth time, I confirm my understanding by directing my attention to the video’s English subtitles. This process takes at least twenty minutes per day, as I often spread each viewing out across the days of the week.

            I have also been working on contributing terms and phrases to the burgeoning Google Translate for Kinyarwanda. I try to produce at least five terms per day, but if I am really feeling productive, I allow myself to spend a little more time there, often at least fifteen minutes per day. I like being made to feel that I am contributing something to Kinyarwanda language learners, and, not surprisingly, I enjoy contributing to my language-learning website, but I am often torn, because to do my language-learning website right, I feel more time needs to be spent there than I am able to commit weekly. Indeed, I find discussing one concept (e.g. verb tense) often makes me aware of a crucial gap in my language lessons (e.g. adverbs), and I want to talk about them all and right now. Furthermore, I want to do better than I have been at discussing the concepts I am, but that also takes time. Perhaps something new to try would be dedicating a half hour (or so) per day developing my website. It may start to look better, which will make me feel better, if not more productive and knowledgeable. Often, when constructing a lesson, I attempt to do it in one sitting, but taking my time may, ironically, make me feel as if I am being more efficient.


            Last week, I meet with my fellow independent language-learners, and though we occasionally drifted off topic (with the current state of our country), L said something truly profound. Indeed, when expressing guilt over her Quizlet use, she observed that we should probably spend less time doing what we thought we should be doing, and spend more time on what works. To this, I can say, “I’m trying! I’m really trying!”

No comments:

Post a Comment